The Department of State of the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico has the ministerial duty to manage multiple business records that are essential parts for the economic activity in Puerto Rico. These records are: (i) the Electronic Registry of Corporations and Institutions, on the basis of Law 164-2009 as amended; (Ii) the Electronic Registry of Trademarks, Trade Names and Related Transactions, on the basis of Law 169-2009 as amended, and on the basis of Law 75-1992 as amended; the (iii) Electronic Registry of Commercial Transactions, on the basis of Law 21-2012 as amended; (Iv) and the Intellectual Property Registry, on the basis of Law 55-2012 as amended.
Moreover, as part of the international dimension of the Department of State it is also one of its functions to support, together with the Trade and Export Company, those entrepreneurs interested in exports. It is also imperative to contribute to the economic development of the country, which is why the data that is captured in the business records is available to the general public for purposes of analysis and statistical output that is necessary for the creation of business plans that can lead to economic growth in Puerto Rico.
- Using the Electronic Registry of Corporations and Institutions, all Corporations, Limited Liability companies and Limited Liability Societies created under the laws of the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico or foreign corporations interested to do business in Puerto Rico can be inscribed. Any amendment to its constituent documents and any dissolution and annual reports filing, payment of annual fees or renewals, are also registered in this Registry. Its purpose is to publicize the documents submitted to the general public, while providing certifications as requested.
- Using the Electronic Registry of Trademarks, Trade Names and Related Transactions, Trademarks and Trade Names are inscribed, as well as amendments and terminations. Moreover, this record has official examiners who qualify any presentation, and any notice of deficiency is notified to the applicants, who then may submit additional documents and/or clarifications as necessary. In addition to providing Certificates of Registration, certifications related to their management are also emitted. Also, the official publication of Trademarks in process is presented through the Official and Digital Gazette, which allows the general public to verify what is being qualified and have the opportunity to object, if they believe to have the right to do so.
- Using the Electronic Registry of Commercial Transactions, financing reports are publicized in order to mend liens on personal property, which arise as collateral by debtors to their creditors. In addition to opening statements, also amendments and terminations are presented. This registry also provides certifications as requested.
- The Intellectual Property Registry is used to inscribe intellectual works published in Puerto Rico by Puerto Rican authors or foreign authors domiciled in Puerto Rico, and the Puerto Rican works printed abroad to be sold, distributed or reproduced in Puerto Rico or any other use involving its publication at the request of the author or its rightful claimant.
- The Department, through its relations with foreign countries, is able to support entrepreneurs in conjunction with the Trade and Export Company, in its eagerness to expand their markets through exports. The Department is also active in creating commercial exchange with foreign countries, which is why we support any necessary interaction with entrepreneurs abroad, even if it is not related to the process of export of goods or services.
- The Department of State website publishes reports, analysis and statistics that are of high value to entrepreneurs interested in configuring an effective business plan which, when executed, can help them to enjoy economic growth. The data comes mainly from the Electronic Registry of Corporations and Institutions, and include information that is received through the Economic Census, conducted from the 2013 Annual Report, and submitted in 2014.
|Registration to inscribe, amend, terminate, and get certifications related to Corporations, Limited Liability Companies and Limited Liability Societies. It is also the place to submit annual reports, pay annual fees or renew societies, as appropriate.|
|Registry to inscribe, amend, terminate, and get certifications related to Trademarks and Trade Names. It is also the place to submit writings responding to observations made by the official examiners.|
|Registry to inscribe, amend and terminate Financing Reports. It is also the place to manage related certifications.|
|Registry to inscribe intellectual works in order to protect the moral rights of the authors. Related certifications are also produced.|
|Place where you can get data for commercial and economic analysis useful for creating business plans and strategies.|